Monday, June 14, 2010

Welp, Here I Go!

About 6 hours from when my plane takes off to Mexico City for orientation, I sit here worried. I didn't think I would be, but I am. I may not have the worries that my mom have (that I will waste into oblivion by not getting enough protein) or worries that one would expect to have (that I can't speak the Arabic language, let alone write the letter "A"). No, my worry lies mostly in the thought that I may not be ready for this--emotionally and spiritually.

This is, as most of you know, a mission trip-- a mission trip with goals of seeing spiritual growth in myself and others. A large chunk of the trip will be me serving with my hands to bless others, which is not an issue for me. What I'm uneasy about is the emotional investment that I am about to dive into. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. During my trip to Ethiopia two years ago, there was a point in the trip that many of the American students started to "check-out" emotionally. We had seen more poverty and diseased beggers in a month than most people see in their lifetime, and it took a toll on us. It really took some deep Jesus-searching for many of us to see the silver lining and hope in the bleak situation.

Perhaps that same frustration will set in on this trip, or maybe it won't. Regardless of what happens, though, I want to cling to Jesus for the duration of the trip. Though I'd like to think that I didn't, a part of me thought that this would be a good expansion on my global vision of poverty and what it's like in 3rd world countries--an "Anderson Cooper" type visit. A trip in which I serve, bless and be blessed, and leave. But now, 5 hours and 40 minutes before I leave, I realize that this will not be a 6-week trip. This will be a 60 year trip. This will be a trip in which the scars that I incur due to the poverty I see (which might even surpass what I saw in Ethiopia), will not be superficial. A trip that, when people ask me how my trip was, will cause me to pause and think about what I saw, who I met, and how my life changed--instead of answering "really good." And I believe God will do that.

It's very well likely that you won't hear from me for another 3 weeks...but I ask that you be praying that I: 1) Feel the love of God daily, 2) the mission trip team builds a great community, 3) the ministry that we do is effective and we see God doing special things, 4) that my body handles the food and water over there, and 5) that I forget by the time I get to Mexico City that I'm going to miss the World Cup and U.S. Open :) (just kidding... but maybe).

Thank you very much for all your support! I'm excited for what God is going to do, despite my uncertainty! I look forward to talking with all of you about what I see and the lessons I've learned when I get back!

سلم (Blessings, in Arabic)

Brendan

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you and with you Brendan! And praying LOTS for you and your team and all God has planned! Yay God!!!

    ReplyDelete